Thursday, August 2, 2007

Stoer Point

I've done some very fancy investigation (all right, I simply read the caption on the photo I used as my banner) and have found out that the picture was taken at Stoer Point. I now want to go there desperately. I've found that it's 2 hours away from Inverness & 3 hours away from Portree - so very obviously we'll likely go there from Inverness. That actually works out perfectly because we'll be in Inverness the longest (aside from Edinburgh) so we'll be able to take the time and go out there.
Clashmore from the North West


One of the best walks in the area begins at the lighthouse car park and heads north above
the cliffs for two miles to the remote Point of Stoer. The coastal scenery is spectacular, and the
views still better if you head a few hundred yards inland to the summit of the 141m high Sidhean
Mor.

But the highlight is the Old Man of Stoer, a 200ft high rock stack just offshore, a
little south of the Point of Stoer. You might even see climbers swimming across the 30ft wide
channel to the platform at the foot of the stack or scaling the stack itself.

When do they shear the sheep in Scotland I wonder? Will I even be able to see any fluffy ones? Are sheep nice? If I see one will the Scots let me pet it? Paul always says I should just open a petting zoo or live on a farm.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

MT here, ::comment, comment, comment::

Sheep are nice. They don't really care that you're traipsing through their fields and whatnought. They may look at you and take a couple steps forward, thinking you may have a tasty grain treat for them.

Climb fences rather than risk leaving a gate open--it's VERY uncool to muck with farmers.
: )

Do ask permission and say hello as traipsing across farms. It's polite and you already knew that!