Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Packing, a serious consideration.

I've been looking at travel sites a lot recently and considering a lot of the packing aids advertised. However, I'm not quite sure if I want to put out the money. On the other hand I want to make packing/unpacking (we are stopping in six different places) easy, quick, and reliable. I don't want to have to unpack everything to find one thing - I want to be prepared. But at what cost? Below are a few items I've been considering:

Clothing Folder. The reason I'm attracted to this is because the clothes we're bringing are not wrinkle-free and we don't have the money to go out and buy wrinkle-free shirts, the average price I've seen so far (I might just be looking in the wrong place, correct me!) is $40 for one shirt. No thank you. This folder holds up to six shirts and has a folding guide (that doubles as a stiff insert to keep the folder as stiff as possible during travel). The other reason I think its nice is because I can take out all of my shirts at once - if I have to rummage through my bag. The large (which holds 6 shirts) is about $28.

Toiletry Kit. I'll be the first to admit that I need a lot to be clean & ready. I need two types of shampoo, conditioner, face wash, body wash, deodorant - the list continues with less than important items. I don't want to have to find all of this stuff rummaging around in my bag in order to take a shower and I don't want to make a million trips to my bag while trying to get ready. What's more, airlines now require that you have liquids in a clear plastic bag. The kit shown unzips to lay flat when placed in luggage, but zips into an easy to carry & compact size that hangs on a door. Price is $29.95 (of course, doesn't include bottles).

Packing Cubes. This concept seems simple and unnecessary - but again the idea of being able to find as well as unpack/pack quick & easy is what draws me to this. They have half ($10) & full ($12) sizes as well as tube shapes in half & full sizes (appears a bit more rectangular than tube-ish to me). Both shapes feature see-through mess on the top, zippers and handles. In theory I could use them for socks and underwear as well as clean & dirty separation.

Before I order anything, I'll do a run-through packing. Pack everything I want to bring and make sure that weight wise I'm even within my limits - then see where I can improve. Luckily we're only going to be there for two weeks and not longer (plus we're planning on washing our laundry half way through). We're not going to be in situations where we can't shower or use a proper bathroom. We're not going to be carrying our bags on our backs across country. We can keep it simple :) Hell, with these aid we might even be able to pack only one bag each!

No comments: