Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Fiction or non-fiction

I was talking to my Mom last Friday night - excited and running a mile a minute about Scotland again. She asked if I was going to the stone circle out of our book and I said that we weren't going to any stone circles because most are not in our area. I also said I didn't think that the stone circle in the book, a place called Craig na Dun, was even real. However, she had me thinking. So she handed me the companion book (because the books are so large, span over so much time, and have been published over such a long period of time - there is a book dedicated to characters, places, events & such for easy reference). I've been reading the book but it has almost no maps and so I'm at a loss as to where Craig na Dun is. I know that it's supposed to be near Inverness - but when I search I find nothing.

I did find a site that said the place was fictional - and considering the book brought widespread recognition to just about everything listed in the pages - I'm inclined to believe.

It makes me a bit sad though. This series of books was it. It was the start to my fascination turned obsession of Scotland. I already had a feeling that most of it was fictional but that small amount of hope I got at seeing the author on the back of the dust cover standing beside a stone circle was really enough to make me dream of being there. To be able to think to myself, "I'm going there!"

Will this sudden realization change Scotland for me? Not in the least :)

1 comment:

WriterWriter said...

Hey there,

Just reading your post on Scotland. The stone circle Diana Gabaldon uses in her books is an amalgamation of several BUT I'm pretty sure one in particular.

Below Culloden Field there's a place called Clava Cairns. You can take the bus from Inverness town centre to Culloden - right to the door - and you can easily walk down to Clava. It's 1.5 miles but it is a gorgeous walk.

Within Clava, there is a very, very distinctive split stone.

If you want to know more about Clava and the area, take a tour with Jacobite Tours - they have several and they're all great; just get your Scottish ears on, because the tour guides are locals - and a couple from Glasgow so you have to Listen...

There is a new interpretive centre at Culloden too. The National Trust has put much money into that place.

Also, on the main road outside Culloden, there's a huge boulder called the Cumberland Stone. This is where the butcher of Cumberland tethered his horse and where he kept himself away from battle...

Diana Gabaldon answers emails, by the way, so pop her a question. She's very kind about replying.