Monday, November 5, 2007

Passports!

This weekend was so productive when it comes to the trip.

I had a sudden realization and then panic because I remembered we'd been waiting to buy the tickets before applying for our passports (because of the cost). Plus, I couldn't seem to find one of my two copies of my birth certificate which you have to send in with your application. This is all on top of the fabled 10+ week waiting period for the actual application. I was panicking.

So on Friday night (after falling asleep in the early afternoon and sleeping for two hours) I spent the night rummaging through our newly, slightly better organized guest closet for the paperwork I stashed somewhere after our marriage certificate applications. I found it, finally, along with a copy of Paul's birth certificate too and finally we were ready!

Saturday morning I woke early and filled out Paul's application while he slept, and got directions to the nearest photo center that took passport sized photographs and also to the local public library where we could submit the application. We first went and got Paul's hair cut, then got our pictures taken, then went over to the library.

I'm so glad we left as early as we did because when we got to where the internet directions sent us, it ends up that the library had moved (though the building was still labeled, "Public Library"). So we drove around the complex thinking that with no note in the window as to where they moved, maybe they were still close by. All we could find was a bookstore so I popped in there and asked. Ends up the library had been moved for a good YEAR and they just didn't bother to update their directions on their website. Nice. When we did get to the library it was 2:30pm and the passport staff closed "promptly" at four. I was panicking a little when I saw the large line (where the hell is everyone going?!) and even more so when the volunteer who prepared the paperwork turned out to be sweet, but elderly slow and hard of hearing. Plus a family of four went into the passport office before us and since I had no idea what exactly they were doing in there I had all these crazy fears they would kick us out promptly at four.

I didn't need to worry though. The family of four did take awhile, but not too long. Ends up all they do in the passport office is take down your ID information, have you sign, and take your money. We were in and out quickly because I made the check(s) out while we waited.

Best news? Ends up this is the slowest time of the year for the passport office and the woman assured us it wouldn't take 10 weeks, it would take 4-6 and she said we might even get it earlier than four. GREAT news, and a real weight off my shoulders.

No comments: