Monday, November 5, 2007

Keeping Connected

I called T-Mobile today and talked to them about the cost for making calls internationally. They said it's going to be $.99 a minute for voice, $10 per MB for data (though they do not charge in $10 increments thank the good Lord), and $.35 sent/$.15 received for text messaging.

Shocking.

The woman was nice enough to explain that I really wouldn't find any better price no matter which carrier I was with because its the country where the call is originating from that is setting the price. Looking through a few of the countries, I'm glad we're not traveling to Russia where its a whopping $4.99 a minute and there is no data coverage.

I've been looking into some other options such as calling cards and wi-fi locations. The calling cards are a little tricky because most of them are based on originating/destination landline calls and the fact is that not all of the people I would call are on landlines. The other option, wi-fi, is a much better option. I found this site, Wi-Here, that is going to be a great source. I'm tempted to try and find locations along our way right now - but the fact of the matter is that all of these locations may or may not change in the next six months. With an internet connection I'd be able to use my webcam, a skype phone, and also your basics like email to keep connected to my friends and family.

The most important thing I got out of calling T-Mobile is that they have excellent coverage through all of the UK so I really have nothing to worry about when it comes to being in an emergency and being able to call for help.

No comments: